CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, May 7, 2010

The best job ever

I am a cook, a maid, an organizer of people's days. I am a teacher, a counselor, a singer, an actor, an artist and a dancer. I am a builder, a visionary, a scientist and a mathematician. Other random jobs that I do on a daily basis include entomology, story telling and song writing. I am an engineer, a nurse and a referee.
I am very busy. I think with all my jobs that I do that I am a great asset to society. I would think with all the different hats that I wear, people would think that I am more than fulfilled. I don't have a degree in any of these areas, but for some reason the Boss feels that I am qualified.
I, often times, am so busy with all my different jobs that I have so humbly been given that I don't have time to take a 30 minute shower or spend an hour getting ready (or even 5 minutes.) I've been told though, that after I have put some more time in on the job, those longer showers will come.
I get to work from home which is nice, that way I don't have to fight traffic. I have a lot of friends who are over achievers like me. We tend to bring our work with us to lunches and parks, but we mutually understand that work is demanding.
I'm HIGHLY paid too - although my checking account probably won't reflect it anytime soon. But I am paid in ways that money would never be able to compare to.
I am a mom. I am a mom from the time I wake up until the time I lay my head on my pillow for the 8th time in a night. I don't have a fancy degree from some prestigious university - but my kids think I'm the smartest person EVER. Designer labels and high heels really aren't in my wardrobe - but jeans that I feel comfortable getting dirty in a sand box are...way better! We don't have the nicest house or the nicest car, we don't eat fancy steaks regularly or drink expensive wine. But our house is filled with love, our house is warm, our cars work, our tummies are full with good food, and milk is good for the bones.
To all those who ask on a regular basis if I can ACTUALLY be fulfilled being a stay at home mom - I am. I am mentally and physically challenged in a way that no "regular" job could ever challenge me.
To all those who ask how I am going to contribute to society - I'm pretty sure that every day when I teach my children responsibility and empathy, respect and love, kindness and independence that I am contributing to society in the greatest way of all.
To all those who ask when I am going to get a "real" job - my job is pretty darn real. Let's trade for a few days and then you can talk to me about "real."
And finally, to all of those who ask if I want a nicer TV or a prettier house or a nicer mini van - NOPE. Stuff doesn't matter in the long run. I have never once heard someone who on their death bed say, "I wish I got that 73" TV." But I have heard of those who on their death bed say, "I wish I told my son/daughter that I loved them more."
I have CHOSEN this as my job - and I hope that all of you who haven't had the privilege of my career path will at some point get to partake.
Happy Mother's Day to all the mommies!

2 comments:

Martha A.

i tend to get a little depressed on mother's day, thinking of all the ways i can be a better mother than what i am. But this post encouraged me! Thanks, Melissa!

Martha A.

i tend to get a little depressed on mother's day, thinking of all the ways i can be a better mother than what i am. But this post encouraged me! Thanks, Melissa!

Post a Comment