So, I turned 29 yesterday. For some reason, I'm excited about turning 30, but 29 - not so much. Maybe, because I have this thing in my head that when I turn 30 I will have it together - or maybe I should have it together. At 29...I definitely do not have it all together.
And really I know that "should's" and "should not's" should not be in my vocabulary, but they are - yes, indeed they are. So - what do I want to get together before I turn the big 3-0? Hmmm...
I would like to get my...wait, before I get a ton of comments from those of you who have seen 30 come and go, I know I will never have it ALL together...but some things I think I should by the time I'm thirty and all grown up...right? Ok, so the things I want to get together:
1. I'm a yeller. By the time I get to 30, I would like to have my yelling conquered. I hate yelling. I don't like myself when I yell. It is not effective. Stupid yelling must stop.
2. The reason why I yell - is my short temper. Yes folks - I am short tempered. I must get my impatient, short tempered little attitude out of my world. No one likes short tempered Melissa - especially me. I feel quite stupid when I'm throwing a fit like a four year old...ooh, totally know where they get it from.
3. Balance - as in balance between getting everyone else taken care of and still finding time to brush my hair on a regular basis. I know I will find it at some point inevitably as the kids grow older - but people come on, I can't wait three more years...my poor husband needs to find me attractive NOW. So, seriously, I need to find time DAILY to exercise and more than five minutes to put effort into how I look.
4. I have got to learn how to cook. Really. No huge cookbook adventures, but quick healthy meals that won't take me 45 minutes to prepare. I have fifteen - maybe thirty on a good night to get a dinner on the table. Yet, I never wanted to learn how to cook when I was younger because apparently I didn't think it was necessary...uh ya, I was incorrect. Totally necessary.
5. A social life. Although I love input daily, with or without permission from my children, I need adult interaction. Before kids, we used to have people over all the time. With kids - a social wasteland. We have so many excuses as to why our lives are not socially friendly - but we have to get over ourselves. And I need to have girl nights. I don't drink and I'm fairly cheap, so what does that leave? Hmmm, girls you got to help me out.
6. Consistent time with the Lord. Ya, ya - don't you always have to put that on a goal list just so you feel like you have met your obligatory Sunday school answer for a goal? But seriously, I need this. Shocking, I know, but when I have taken the time to be consistent in spending time with God, I am more patient and sweet tempered and not the short tempered yelling monster that typically rears its ugly head. So, I'm not just being religious, I'm serious. Real bible time...and I think my kids will find great value in seeing Mommy spending time with the Lord consistently, ok, I know they will.
And that about sums it up on my first full day of being 29. Who knows if I will succeed at these, but I feel like I need to since it's becoming quite evident that I'm an adult (who regularly needs to moisturize my skin on a regular basis - when did that happen?)
So, now I'm going to go take a shower (#3) and then clean up my house so I can have dishes to cook dinner tonight (#4) right after I go tell my kids to go to sleep for the 4th time without screaming (#1 and #2) Oh, it's going to be a long year.
Who's up for a girl night? :)
P.S. Just a quick reminder, become a "fan" of The Joyful Jungle on Facebook and share with your friends...the 125 fan and the person who told them about it will get a candle from the Scentsy line. Pretty cool!